Summary of Legislation – National Pool Safety Act (NPSA)
Reference Bills H.R. 5850 and S.3718
The National Pool Safety Act is intended to increase the safety of swimming pools and spas by motivating states to pass laws that incorporate layers of protection in order to help prevent drowning, drain entrapment and hair entanglements. The legislation would require all swimming pools and spas to have these layers of protection:
- Installation of barrier fences around a pool to prevent children’s unattended access.
- Mandates pools be equipped with a suction outlet drain cover which prevents hair and body entanglements.
- Requires the installation of a Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS), shutting off a pump if it detects a blockage.
The bill was also amended to include the following:
- Pool Covers – A safety pool cover.
- Pool Gates – A gate with direct access to the swimming pool must be equipped with a self-closing, self-latching device.
- Door Alarms – Any door with direct access to the pool must be equipped with an audible alert device or alarm that sounds when the door is opened.
- Pool Alarm – A device designed to provide rapid detection of an entry into the water of a swimming pool or spa.
The National Pool Safety Act will go into effect this season.
Please visit http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h109-5850 for more information about this legislation.